As one of my bridal shower gifts I received a cooking torch, and couldn’t wait to use it. But I didn’t have any idea what I could do with it besides make Crème Brulee. Don’t get me wrong…Crème Brulee is delicious but I wanted to make something different with the torch for the first time so I devised a plan to make these Blondies.
I love Blondies. I’m always trying to figure out a new Blondie recipe and to be honest, I think this one is pretty great. It incorporates sweet potato which lends a moist cake-like texture. You can definitely taste the sweet potatoes which I think is a good thing because they’re so naturally sweet (hence the name). Plus, sweet potatoes are good for you. So you see? This dessert is good for you too!
Of course, you’ve got to add the toasted marshmallows to the top of these. It seals the deal, adding an extra layer of awesomeness to the recipe if I do say so myself.
The first time I made this recipe though, I made the mistake of putting the marshmallows on top of the Blondie batter before baking them. They still were quite tasty but the visual appeal wasn’t what I was hoping for. The marshmallows just blended into the Blondie itself too much and had less of a wow-factor. So the next time I made this recipe, I baked the Blondies first. Then I topped them with the marshmallows and put them back into the warm oven. Doing this, it made the marshmallows melt together just right on the surface of the Blondies. Once they had a little melt-action going on, I torched them to a nice golden brown for absolute dessert perfection.
These are SO good! You’ve got to get these in your oven right now. They’re perfect for a party or any time you feel like celebrating!
Toasted Marshmallow Sweet Potato Blondie
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks of butter) softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 cup flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1 cup mashed sweet potato (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
1 tbsp corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
About 30 Marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Whisk the flour, cake flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the softened butter, sugar, brown sugar and mashed sweet potato together until combined.
- Add the vanilla, egg, egg yolk and corn syrup, stir to combine.
- Fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, being careful not to overmix. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake until the top is a light golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool slightly, top the blondies with the marshmallows. Stick the pan back in the oven until the marshmallows melt together a little (about 2 minutes) then torch the marshmallow until golden brown.
This recipe was also made with gluten free flour.
I like to use