The weather has been pretty warm here, however when a stretch of cool weather came through I didn’t hesitate to make soup. I’m not a huge fan of winter, but coming from NY, experiencing 60 degrees in January is just bizarre.
This corn chowder recipe is smooth and creamy from the half and half and hearty from the potatoes. It’s very quick and easy to make, and there are only a handful of ingredients. Well technically 6 ingredients plus seasonings, but that’s close enough to a handful 😉.
Get cozy with a warm bowl of hearty corn chowder. This recipe is very quick and easy to make with either fresh corn or frozen.
- 2 tsp oil
- 7 oz ham steak (diced)
- 1 small – medium onion (diced)
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes (diced)
- 1 cup half and half
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
Heat 6 quart soup pot to medium high heat, and brown the diced ham steak.
2. Remove ham from the pot.
3. Pour oil into the hot pot, add onions, and caramelize.
4. Pour chicken stock into the pot. Bring stock to a boil. Season soup with 1 tsp granulated garlic, 1 tsp granulated onion, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 tsp dried thyme.
5. Add potatoes. Cook until potatoes are fork tender. Add ham back to the soup.
6. Pour in frozen corn. Pour half and half into the soup.
7. Remove from heat.