This creamy potato soup is loaded with chunks of tender Yukon Gold potatoes. Top it off with cheese and bacon for the ultimate comfort food!Print
This creamy potato soup is loaded with chunks of tender Yukon Gold potatoes. Load it up with cheese and bacon for the ultimate comfort food!
I pound thick-cut bacon (optional)
1 large onion
5 garlic cloves
3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and large diced
1 pound of Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and small diced
6 cups water or chicken stock (divided)
(If using water use 3 large chicken bullion cubes)
2 cups half half
Granulated garlic, granulated onion, salt, and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Lay bacon in a single layer on baking sheet, making sure not to overlap.
- Bake until your desired crispness, 15 to 25 minutes. (Thin slices will cook more quickly!)
- Drain bacon fat into a cup. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain some more, and then crumble bacon to use as a topping for the soup.
- Meanwhile add 1 pound of small diced potatoes to a small sauce pan. Add 2 cups of water with a large chicken bullion cube (or 2 cups of chicken stock), and bring to a boil until potatoes are fork tender.
- Heat a medium to large stock pot over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of reserved bacon fat. (If not using bacon, canola oil will work just as well) Add onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until lightly caramelized. Stir in the garlic and sauté for an extra 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in 4 cups of water with 2 large chicken bullion cubes (or 4 cups of chicken stock) and add 3 pounds of large diced potatoes. Cook potatoes until the mixture reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Once the potatoes are soft puree potatoes. The mixture will be thick.
- Pour the small diced potatoes into the pureed potatoes including the potato water.
- Pour in 2 cups of half and half until combined. Season to taste with granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt and pepper.
- Serve soup warm in a bowl. Garnish soup with grated cheddar cheese, and reserved bacon bits.